Pit Toilet Solutions
The use of pit toilets is not uncommon in South Africa, as they are often the only solution in areas lacking water infrastructure.
Pit Toilet Benefits
- Minimum maintenance
- Most cost-effective sanitation solution
- Does not require water (other than for cleaning the pedestal)
- Treats effluent naturally
- Can decrease the spread of disease If properly built/maintained
For a basic system you will require the following:
1. Pit pedestal
Preferably one with a seat/lid.
2. A hole in the ground
It is advised to build the pit toilet away from the main dwelling and community water sources in order to prevent contamination of the water supply.
The depth of the hole will depend on the amount of people that will be utilising the toilet, as well as the frequency thereof. It is advised to dig a hole that is at least 3m deep and 1m wide.
3. A slab/floor with a small opening to cover the hole or “pit” where the sewerage will be stored.
Note: The slab/floor has to be solid and should span the width of the hole without collapsing. It is recommended that the hole in the slab/floor is no larger than 25cm to prevent toilet users from falling in
4. A hut
To cover the pit toilet and provide privacy and shelter from the elements.
This is a guideline for a basic installation. Each installation will vary based on the setup and personal preference and should be done according to local legislation to avoid water pollution and public health risks.
Pit toilets are fairly maintenance-free once constructed, but adhering to the requirements for safe pit emptying and management is very important. We advise the following:
1. Keeping the pedestal and hut clean
Regular cleaning with anti-bacterial agents are vital to effectively manage bacterial problems in and around the toilet.
2. What to do once the pit is full
Once the pit fills to within 0.5 meters of the top, it should be filled up with soil and a new pit should be constructed.
Buy a JoJo Tank
Join the JoJo family today.
Find your nearest JoJo Tank distributor by either searching your area or using the handy mapping functionality.
Install a JoJo Tank
Whether you’re looking for an installer or prefer the DIY-route, we’ve got all the information you need.
The installers listed below have been carefully screened to ensure that they have the right equipment and level of experience to provide you with satisfactory service.
If you’d prefer to install your own tank, please consult our comprehensive, easy-to-use DIY-Installation Guide.
When you purchase a JoJo tank, you invest in a high-quality product from South Africa’s leading manufacturer of polyethylene tank solutions.
Our products offer the following benefits:
- All JoJo polyethylene products come with a 10-year guarantee (extended from an 8-year guarantee as of 1 September 2017).
- Tanks are available in different formats, with a variety of fittings and accessories to extend performance capabilities and versatility.
- Products are manufactured with the best food-grade, quality virgin LLDPE.
- With a UV-stabilised outer layer, our products are designed to withstand the harsh African climate.
- The food-grade, black inner lining in our water tanks prevents algae growth and keeps water fresher for longer.
- A stringent quality-control system ensures that products meet specified design standards.
- All JoJo Water and Chemical Tanks are manufactured in accordance with the specifications outlined in SANS 1731:2017*
- All Vertical, Horizontal and Septic Tanks carry a quality certification from the Agrément Board of South Africa.
Find more information on our compliance to Industry Tank Standards here.
Wow, JoJo Tanks you rock! I just spoke to the most friendly, polite, knowledgeable and most helpful customer service lady at your call centre called Lesedi, and she provided all the information I needed about your JoJo Tanks and where to find them. Thank you guys!
On behalf of Rainbow Warriors SA, The Bonecrusher Crew and The Stray Cat Gang, we would like to thank JoJo Tanks for their life-saving donation of a 5000lt water tank to the Rainbow Warriors animal shelter in Hibberdene, Kwazulu-Natal.
For the past five years the Lower South Coast has had severe water problems. This year we were hardest hit and had to endure 16 straight days without a drop of water. As a shelter this becomes a major crisis, as water is like gold to us. Our dogs and cats drink between 80 and 100lt per day, our kennels are washed and scrubbed down each day in order to prevent various diseases that are spread from animal to animal and animal to human.
Unless you have had to face a water crisis day after day, knowing that so many lives depend on you for water, you will never understand just how much this has meant to us.
Thank you once again,
Terence (Tee) Olivier - Rainbow Warriors SA
How can we help you?
Find the answers to your most Frequently Asked Questions.
From filters to tanks, JoJo offers a wide range of solutions to suite various applications including domestic, agricultural, industrial and commercial.
Having trouble finding the ideal solution for you? Have a look at what we have available and don’t hesitate to ask for assistance should you need any guidance.